» Menu

» Read More - Community Exemptions

Amendments to the Liquor Act 1992 effective from 1 July 2013, mean that ‘eligible associations’, such as Parents and Citizens associations, sporting clubs and Rotary and Lions Clubs will generally no longer have to apply for a community liquor permit if they wish to sell alcohol at a fundraising event.

While there is a general exemption for eligible associations, there are some limitations and conditions on entities wishing to sell liquor at a fund raising activity.

Do I need a community liquor permit?

If the event is conducted by an eligible association and you answer ‘yes’ to each of the following questions, the Liquor Act does not apply and no liquor permit is required:

  • are all net proceeds used for the benefit of the community?
  • is the supply of liquor secondary to the fundraising event?
  • will liquor be sold for a period of 8 hours or less and between 7 am and
  • midnight?

Do exempt events have any restrictions placed on them?

Yes. Although a community liquor permit is not required, the following restrictions apply to exempt events.

  • liquor must be sold by an adult, in an open container and for consumption at the event
  • the entity must ensure the sale of liquor does not create an unsafe environment at the event
  • liquor must not be sold or supplied in a way that encourages rapid or excessive consumption
  • liquor must not be sold or supplied to minors or patrons who are unduly intoxicated or disorderly.

Is my association eligible?

An association is an eligible association if it is a non-profit entity for the event and you answer ‘no’ to each of the following questions.

  • has the entity or an executive officer been given a non-compliance notice under Section 14(C)(3) of the Liquor Act in the last 6 months?
  • is / was the entity or an executive officer a licensee or permittee who, within the last 5 years, has:been given an urgent suspension notice under the Liquor Act? or been convicted of a breach of sections 148A(2), 148A(4), 156 or 169(1) of the Liquor Act? or breached a condition of a licence or permit regarding minimising alcohol related disturbances or public disorder?

It should be noted that an eligible association does not have to be incorporated, nor does it have to be registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission.

However an association is not an eligible association if:

  • it is a criminal organisation under the Criminal Organisation Act 2009, or
  • the entity or executive officer is disqualified from holding a licence under the Liquor Act.